The plan (2020)
Set goals, set plans. It’s time for New Year’s expectation setting.
I realize just by writing this and publishing it, I may be negating some of the benefits of keeping my goals secret, but i’m going to explain what I want to do… and then use this to keep score.
Cover Photo: Rodrigo Sarsfield
I did a quick lit review on goal setting on Christmas, and now it’s Dec 30, so I’m ready, officially, to come up with both goals and a plan to achieve them.
- To be around my family for as long as I can.
- To set a positive example for my family that you can start something and make your life better whenever you want.
- To improve my mental health.
- Before I go to work, I will go to the gym, put on my exercise clothes, and do at least 5 minutes of exercise, but no more than 10.
- After I exercise, I will shower, shave, brush / floss my teeth, do my hair, put on cologne, take my medicine, and put on clothes which I pre-selected the night before.
- To operate at peak capacity in home, work, play and spirituality.
- To give myself a mental health rudder.
- I will maintain my habit of waking up no earlier than 4:30am, but no later than 6:00am.
- On Mondays, I will perform a weekly recap / planning session at 6:15am.
- During my commute, I will read at least 5 pages of a book on my reading list, but not more than 10 pages.
To support these efforts, I’m going to be using one specific tool: Streaks.
On the first page is my list of goals I’m planning to accomplish. On the second are smaller habits, but not really things that make me achieve anything specific. I really want to make the first page happen, and the second are ideal things, but less crucial.
I don’t know how I’ll be reporting progress yet… i’m more concerned with gathering the data and then using that to form a retrospective on Monday. I’ll figure out the best venue for the display later.